Initially users were only able to download WhatsApp for PC on Windows 8/7.
This development was solely WhatsApp for Windows – for Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone users. But as of May 2016, WhatsApp for PC has been available for use on both Windows 8 and above and Mac OS X 10.9 operating systems.
The aim of allowing users to be able to download WhatsApp for PC, was to enhance and simplify the communication experience. So you can share messages, videos, photos on a desktop computer or via a mobile device.
In this article, we’ll guide you on how to download WhatsApp for PC.
WhatsApp for PC essentially acts as an extension of your phone. It enables you to sync with your mobile app and user account settings to use WhatsApp messenger on your desktop.
Download WhatsApp for PC and you’ll be able to make use of a whole host of features:
- The desktop app runs natively on your desktop. When your phone is on, close to your computer and connected to the internet. You need a stable Wi-Fi internet connection in order to send a receive messages.
- The benefits of using WhatsApp on a larger screen.
- Better keyboard shortcuts enable you to open up many chats at the same time. You can mute conversations. You can jump between different chats and navigate your way around the app and your WhatsApp profile. It’s perfect for flitting between multiple chats. There’s also a group chat option so you’ll be able to communicate with several people simultaneously.
- It essentially mirrors conversations you have on your phone. So you won’t have to keep reaching into your pocket to check updates every two minutes. When you get a message you’ll receive a desktop notification, and you’ll be able to respond on your PC . A message that will be sent directly to the recipient’s account where they’ll be able to access it either via the mobile app or on their PC.
- Voice calling through Google Chrome.
- You can upload images, files and other attachments and send at high speed.
- Free international calls and messaging.
- When you’re not using your computer you can receive office notifications on WhatsApp Web.
- It’s free. WhatsApp used to cost $0.99 USD a year. But in 2016 the company decided to drop this annual subscription charge making WhatsApp for PC completely free.
Prerequisites To Install WhatsApp On PC
In order to download WhatsApp for PC on Windows 8/7 or your Mac, there are WhatsApp prerequisites.
- You must have the latest version of the WhatsApp mobile app on your Windows phone or smartphone. WhatsApp APK file is the latest version download for Android.
- WhatsApp mobile app regularly makes updates. It’s essential you install these updates before downloading WhatsApp for PC. Simply go to your WhatsApp user profile, go to options, settings. Then follow the on-screen instructions to check and install any updates.
- For the successful downloading of WhatsApp on computer and use of WhatsApp Web, both your smartphone and your computer need to have internet connexion.
- You can use WhatsApp Web only if your computer has one of the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari or Edge. WhatsApp Web doesn’t support the running of other browsers such as Internet Explorer on your PC or Mac.
Ensure your computer meets these requirements before your attempt to install WhatsApp on PC. This will ensure the web app is fully functioning and runs as smoothly as possible.
How To Setup And Use WhatsApp Desktop Client With iPhone
When WhatsApp for PC launched in 2015, it was still in its infancy regarding its compatibility with various devices.
There were a number of restrictions and Apple platform limitations. This means that initially, iPhone users weren’t able to use the WhatsApp desktop app.
However, this app is now available for iOS devices. So that you can now install WhatsApp for PC via iPhone.
Once your PC meets the WhatsApp prerequisites, follow this step-by-step guide to begin install WhatsApp on PC via your iPhone.
- Begin by opening WhatsApp on your iPhone. Then access the setting tab, underneath which there will be a range of options. Select WhatsApp Web and it will open up a one-time use QR code scanner feature.
- On your PC, access the official WhatsApp web login to install WhatsApp on PC whilst keeping your mobile app running.
- On your iPhone use the code scanner feature to scan the QR code on the WhatsApp website on your computer. Ensure the code scanner and the code are aligned.
- Once your iPhone has finished scanning the QR code, you’ll see a pop-up on-screen confirmation. After which follow the on-screen instructions, click ‘OK GOT IT’ on your phone. Then the next steps will happen automatically.
- WhatsApp will automatically sync your user profile and settings. Log you in enabling you to use WhatsApp for PC straight away.
How To Download WhatsApp for PC Using BlueStacks
BlueStacks is an Android emulator, enabling apps for Android to run on Windows PCs.
Once you’ve ensured your computer is compatible to install WhatsApp on PC, go through the following steps:
- Download BlueStacks apps for Android on your PC. It’s free to download on both Windows and Mac platforms directly from the official website. Simply click the link and the download and installation process will take place automatically.
- Once the installation is complete, run the Emulator. Open up the desktop shortcut icon. Alternatively search for ‘My Apps’ in your Google account. Click the icon and you’ll be directed to the Google Play Store.
- Type WhatsApp into either the search panel on your desktop icon or into the search bar on Google Play.
- You’ll be taken to a new site. Click on the downloading button and the free WhatsApp application will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once installation is complete, you’ll be able to access WhatsApp for PC in 2 ways. Either by signing into Google Play and running it from the ‘My Apps’ section, by clicking on your desktop shortcut icon. Or by accessing it from the apps section of BlueStacks.
- When you launch WhatsApp for PC for the first time you’ll be prompted to enter your phone number. Enter it. Then copy, paste the confirmation code into the relevant space on the app.
- All your contacts, chats and user information will be imported. And you’ll be able to begin using WhatsApp on your desktop.
WhatsApp Alternative Messaging Apps
There’s an array of different messaging apps on the market. Before entering the fray in 2009, many thought that the messaging app market was already rather saturated.
However, WhatsApp entered the market. And since the company’s take over by Facebook, the app’s growth in popularity has been remarkable.
Having WhatsApp is today thought of as common place, but there are plenty of viable alternatives.
Facebook Messenger, Viber, Skype, imo, LINE, WeChat, BBM, and Google Hangouts are just a few other option.
They have similar features, are all relatively simple to use. They are free to download and use on computers and mobiles phones.
However, they all specialise in various different aspects of messaging and have different capabilities.
Skype for instance is more of a platform for making video calls. From Viber you’ll be able to make free calls and share content. And Google Hangouts specialises in group video calling.
If you’re looking for to messaging, the free WhatsApp for PC messaging app provides the ideal solution. Place4Tech provides a detailed guide on how to download Whatsapp for PC.
Acting as an extension of your phone, you’ll no longer need to keep checking your phone whilst working at your PC. Or keep several messaging applications open at once because of issues with compatibility.
With over a billion active users, statistics show that WhatsApp is one of the world’s favourite methods of messaging. And the fact that it’s free and now available across different devices means that it’s accessible to a huge market.
If you’re a WhatsApp user, we’re sure WhatsApp for PC will make you happy.